BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

I think I've finally cracked.

I haven't even mentioned this to DH, and it probably won't happen, but I'm considering asking to adopt two baby boys. Shocking, I know. I'm crazy for even thinking A) it could happen and B) this person would give up her two boys. I just feel compelled to at least try.


Back story, a former co-worker has a daughter, I'll call her Kay. She is 22, I think. Kay lives with her mother, and both don't have a job. Kay has a toddler boy. The toddler's dad is in prison. Kay is also pregnant with baby boy #2. Don't know where the baby's dad is. From what I understand, Kay takes off for three days at a time and leaves the toddler with Grandma. Yes, more than likely is into drugs. BTW, grandma is without heat right now, I don't know how she is paying the bills, and Christmas just isn't going to happen when there is food and diapers to buy. It's an awful situation, and my heart just breaks for the toddler and for this unborn baby.

So I don't know jack about adoption, and if it could be as simple as the parent(s) signing over their rights. I have a feeling it's not. I'm not dumb enough to think it would be as simple as that. It will probably cost thousands and like I said, it probably will never happen...but I feel I at least have to put it out there to the Grandma/Kay and see if she would even consider it. I highly doubt any mom would just say "Oh sure, you want my kids...you can totally have them, where do I sign?!?!"

I know I'm totally crazy nuts for thinking we could do this, but I know we could and I know God would provide.

It's a total long shot, like I said. I doubt it will even happen, but I at least need to ask. Convincing DH will be another issue. Financial logistics would be his biggest obstacle, not caring and loving two more children. That would be the easy part.

Or maybe if we couldn't adopt them, maybe one of my friends who desperately want children would be willing to.  I don't know, there are so many options, but none could happen if Kay simply says no.  I haven't even mentioned it to my coworker.  How do you bring that up?  "Hey, your daughter SUCKS as a mom.  I think she should give me her kids. OK?!"  Ya, that would go over real well.   How do you ask that??  Do you even ask??  Or do you hint??  "So, since your daughter is a crack head, do you really think she's a fit parent?  Hmmmm, I wonder where there is a fit parent willing to take on two more children?  Hmmmm, I wonder where you could find such a person???"  Who knows. 

So ya, it's another hair-brained idea....but from the second I heard she was pregnant (right after I came back to work from maternity leave in Aug) the thought popped into my head.  I should adopt them.  We could provide a loving, safe, secure home for them, I would get the big family I want without risking my life in the process, and M would get two sons. 

I don't know, it's a HUGE undertaking and certainly not one to take lightly, but I just feel the need to put that option out there to them and see what happens. 

3 comments:

beth said...

I think if you are still thinking about it this long, you seriously need to see where it will go...I have no idea where you would start...hubby or kids' gma, hat is the question...if gma says 'Get lost!', you don't have to bother hubby with it!

-T said...

Good advice, thanks Beth. Like I told my mom, this isn't something that just occurred to me today. I've been sitting on it for awhile. I've written gma and we'll see what happens.

beth said...

I would love to hear what happens...maybe it will just inspire them to do better...I know, wishful thinking!