BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Unexpected Day Off

We had an eventful day last Thursday.  The news kept talking about some freezing temps that were coming our way and it seemed to have everyone in panic mode.  That's the thing about where we live.  Here in TX, if there is any kind of extreme weather, it causes the city to shutdown!  Now I know you all will laugh (my northeast friends), but an inch of snow around these parts is like a storm of blizzard proportions where you live! 

Well, we knew this weather was coming.  In the teens at night and a high below freezing during the day, for 3-4 days in a row.  So, it was going to be cold.  On Wednesday night we prepared for the next school/business day as usual.  On Thursday morning I woke up to the alarm radio.  I heard the radio people talking about how cold it was but that was it.  No snow, no ice, and certainly no school closures.  Or so I thought.

Since we were running late (as usual), I asked M to drive P1 to the bus because I didn't want her to miss it & have to stand out in the cold.  They said their goodbyes and I continued getting P2 ready.  As I'm pulling out of the driveway I see both M and P1.  Now I'm thinking he should have just driven her to school so I'm confused why they are home.  He said the school looked like a ghost town.  Not a soul there and not a light on in the place.  Baffled, I said I would just take her to P2's school for the day (they allow me to do that since P1 used to go there when she was younger) OR I would just take her to work with me (I'm fortunate that my company is flexible enough to allow me to do that too!).  So before I drive over there with both girls, I call the school just to make sure they are still open.  NOPE.  I get a recording saying they are closed for the day. LOVELY.  So M and I flip a coin and I win and get to stay home with the girls!  When I got inside the house and turned on the TV there it was, ALL the school closures listed and our district was there.  Oh well, that's what I get for not checking.  It was odd though because we didn't have any snow OR ice.  It was just butt a$$-naked cold!  An unexpected weather day so what are we going to do with our free day?!?!  Much to P1's chagrin, we need to clean and take down our Xmas decor!   We also went to the mall.  More on that in another post! 

0 comments: