BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why I don't cook

Everytime I try to get crafty in the kitchen, it never ceases to become a total disaster.  I either hurt myself in the process (and have the scars to prove it) or dinner turns into cold cereal because mom burned the dinner, mom undercooked the dinner, mom spilled the dinner, etc etc..  All of those have happened at one time or another.  My hubby is the best cook and the sweet guy that he is always encourages me and eats what I make with a smile.  MOST of the time.  I can tell when he doesn't like something.  After 10 years, you just know.

So last night started out great in my mind.  I got a recipe from my friend April for a stew recipe and thought it sounded easy enough.  I prepared everything the night before to cook all day in the crockpot.  I followed the directions as she posted them and she even told me that to watch it because if it cooks too long, the potatoes will turn to mush.  Which actually is OK with me!  I like them that way!  Anyway, so after all day in the CP, I come home to find the potatoes and the carrots are rock hard. :(  I guess there was just too much in there and they just didn't get cooked.  So M cranked it up to High and we waited.  I thought an additional 30min would do it.  So I started making the cornbread muffins. 

It was from scratch, so I followed the directions and put them into the greased muffin tins.  Then I remembed salt.  Crap.  I forgot to add the salt. I had two options; I could scoop out the batter and put it back until the bowl and then add the salt. OR I could put a little salt into each muffin and mix it up.  I chose the latter.  When that was done, I went to pop them in the oven and the oven is ice cold.  I forgot to turn it on.  Grrrrrrrr

At this point I'm starting to get frustrated.  What made it worse is that P2 was having a fit in her highchair because daddy was trying to feed her squash and she doesn't like squash.  Plus, she wanted mommy.  Mommy was busy so she was hollering.  Then, M & P! were going to her school for some kind of function and they were on a time schedule and unfortunately dinner wouldn't be ready in time.  Anyway, so after they leave I put the muffins in the now heated oven and set the timer.  Now the package recipe said 20-25 muffins.  To be safe, I put them in for 20min.  I take the now screaming P2 out of her highchair and we procede to play on the floor in the living.

After about 10min, I notice the smell of the cornbread.  Mmmmm, smells good.  Wait, it hasn't been 20+min.  It's been like 8.  I'm noticing the smell is getting stronger.  Finally I get up and run over to the oven.  Yep, they are one minute away from being flamin' hockey pucks.  WTH?!??  The timer said there was 12min left to go.  Really, WTH?!??  So my dinner officially earns the score of FAIL.  I have a ruined, undercooked, overcooked heap in my kitchen.  Oh well, guess what we're having tomorrow.  Maybe then the stupid potatoes will be thoroughly cooked.  Maybe. 

1 comments:

Raising Twin Girls said...

Wow, what a mess. Sounds just like what happens to me in the kitchen.